||In this workshop, participants will learn:
- What is diamond willow, where is it found, when to harvest, drying and straightening.
- Safe handling of knives, chisels and carving tools.
- How to craft their own walking stick—each participant will be provided with a raw (with bark) diamond willow stick (dried and straightened stick).
- How to remove the bark, carve out the diamonds, sand, and be provided with two finishing products (boiled linseed oil and Wipe On Poly).
- Finishing touches such as installing a wrist strap, carvings onto the stick, implanting a gemstone or compass, and installing a rubber tip will also be discussed.
Participants should bring a knife, a wood chisel, U gauge or other carving tools if they have them as well as cut resistant gloves. Some knives and chisels will be provided. Additional raw sticks and finished sticks and canes will also be available for sale.