1) Door to door bus transportation will be arranged to and from the Halifax airport ($30 per person one way). The bus trip takes 75 minutes, so reserve your flights accordingly to use this service. We will contact you to arrange payment approximately a month before the conference
From Halifax Airport: 4 pm, Wednesday May 17, or 4 pm, Thursday, May 18
From Wolfville to Halifax Airport: 7 am, Sunday May 21, or 12:30 pm, Sunday May 21
(2) Maritime Bus currently offers bus service departing the Halifax Airport at 5:30 pm on both May 17 & 18 for $30, which takes an hour and 45 minutes to arrive in Wolfville. Reserve tickets online.
(3) We have set up a carpool page to facilitate ride sharing. Please use this infrastructure if you have a car or need a ride.
(4) Dollar Rent A Car has given us a discounted rate at the airport for conference attendees which comes to a bit under $42 a day for a car with all taxes and fees included and for a mini-van around $55. If you share, this is prettycmodest for three days. If you pick up the car elsewhere, it is 17% less. To get the rate e mail Natalie Mount, who is the Dollar rental car person in Halifax handling conference business, and she will directly help you. Please put “Acadia Rates” in the subject line of your e mail.
Carbon Offsets and Travel
The conference will be paying to offset the on site emissions attributed to the conference and we will monitor energy usage in the buildings. This will come in the form of a contribution to the public fundraising program at Acadia for a fund to retrofit a building with a 150 kw solar panel array. We ask and hope that each delegate will calculate and off set the costs of emissions due to your transportation as a way of recognizing our shred responsibilities in this endeavour. Here are the options we endorse:
- For air travel, less.ca provides you with a calculator and then an immediate ability to contribute to Gold Standard Projects. This standard is the highest and is endorsed by major environmental organizations such as the David Suzuki Foundation, Greenpeace and WWF. You may also contribute here for car transport that you calculate below.
- Tree Canada also provides a calculator and then you can choose to offset the emissions by contributing to their tree planting or return to less.ca for Gold Standard emissions off-setting.